Published By : Vimal Kumar
If you see the numbers, over half of the world population in now connected to the internet and over 2 billion people are using social media. Businesses are also creating their digital presence as they have understood the power of getting online.
But do you think that just getting online is enough?
No. You need to market yourself and tell people that you exist online. There are billions of business websites online who are similar to you and you need to compete with them to get top spot in SERPs. Website is your home on internet and SEO is a technique which is used to optimize your website to make it worthy for both your audience and search engines. But SEO is not done until you check the most important factors which can influence your rankings in SERPs.
Let us have a look at the factors which essentially influence the SEO of your website. Always keep a check on them to improve your rankings in organic SERPs.
Checking on-page SEO factors
On page SEO is optimizing content and properties of your website, in order to make it more user-friendly, responsive and easy to crawl both for users and search engines. We focus mainly on optimizing Website’s HTML, structure and content to improve on-page SEO.
Optimizing Website HTML
HTML is the view which search engine crawlers see when they visit and index a website. So, optimizing it is essential.
1. Check Title Tags: It must be limited to 60 characters because it is the limit to titles in search algorithms. Create a short title but make sure it conveys the right message.
2. Check Meta Descriptions: Meta description gives an extract of the content on your website. This meta description is shown in SERPs. Ensure that your meta descriptions are within the limit of 160 characters and includes necessary keywords.
3. Check Headings (H1): Heading of the blog needs to be an exact keyword match so that bots can rank you higher for that keyword.
4. Check Subheadings (H2, H3,..): If you want to target more set of keywords; then keep them in subheadings. It will improve your SERP rankings.
5. Check Keywords: Ensure that you choose highly searched and less competitive keywords, so that you have more better chances to rank higher in SERPs.
Optimizing Website Structure
Website structure needs to be optimized in order to provide an easy, secure and fast navigation to the audience. If website is user friendly and serves right and useful information, it is more likely to be ranked higher in SERPs on required query.
1. Check UX: UX refers to user experience. Your website must be easy to navigate and interact with. If user experience is good on your website, they are more likely to remember you and return to your website.
2. Check Responsiveness: Your website must be adaptable to various platforms such as laptops, desktops, mobiles, tablets. Nowadays, mobile devices are used more than desktops so it is necessary for your website to be responsive on mobiles and tablets.
3. Check Page Speed: If your webpage takes too long to load, your audience will not use it. So, ensure that your website loads fast on all platforms. Check if there are heavy image files or data files which are lowering the page speed. You can use Google Page Speed Insights tool to check speed of your webpage and get recommendations to improve your page speed.
4. Check SSL certificate: Search engines prefer secure websites more than normal websites. Websites with SSL certificate gains more user confidence and trust. SSL certificate changes your domain from “http” to “https”.
5. Check Url: URL is the identification of your website. To rank higher, use targeted keyword in URL and keep it short and attractive to remember. Avoid using an underscore “ _” in url, instead use hyphen “-“ as separator.
6. Check Sitemap: Sitemap is a file which lists all pages in website and this file is used by users or bots to crawl the website easily. If there is no sitemap, crawlers may find it difficult to crawl your webpage and your webpage may not get indexed.
7. Check Robots.txt: Robots.txt is a file which restricts crawlers from accessing some parts of website or whole website. Make sure that it is in root folder of your website, otherwise it will not work.
Optimize Website Content
Content is King in SEO but only if it is fresh and appropriate. Check the following to ensure that your website content is worth ranking or not.
1. Check Plagiarism: There is a lot of content on internet and search engines select most useful content for their searchers. So, keep your content fresh, informational and original because it works better. If you copy content from other websites and put it on your website, search engines will not rank it because copying results is plagiarism which is against search engine guidelines.
2. Check Keywords targeting: Blogs are where you can target more keywords to get a better ranking in SERPs. So, ensure that you are targeting right industry keywords and try to place keywords in first 100 words of blog to rank higher.
3. Check Keyword stuffing: Targeting keywords in blog is a sure shot way to improve ranking in SERPs but if you are placing keywords repeatedly many times in your content which are out of context, it may not work. It is called keyword stuffing not keyword targeting.
Checking off-page SEO factors
Although off page SEO factors are out of your control but you can focus on some tips to improve your off page SEO plan. Off page SEO deals with improving your domain and page authority by an appropriate link building plan.
1. Check local listings: Local listings are crucial to local SEO. Ensure that you have listed your business and website on local listing platforms. If you are doing so, your business will appear in search results of the local searchers.
2. Check submissions: Content submission websites are useful as your website can get more traffic from them if you have submitted blogs, images, videos or any other content on submission sites.
3. Check Quora participation: Quora is a platform where people discuss about wide range of topics. You can participate in Quora and answer the questions and leave a link to your blog post if it is relevant to the question. It can generate valuable backlinks for your website.
4. Check socialization: Social media profiles play a pivotal role in increasing your web traffic if properly managed. Ensure that you have sufficient and right social presence according to your target audience. Share content useful to your audience so that they engage with it and share it.
5. Check low quality backlinks: Low quality backlinks can harm your SEO. If you think that a backlink is harming your SEO, try DISAVOW TOOL by Google and list link in disavow list. Google will ignore that link while assessing your website.
To increase traffic of website through SEO, you need a long term SEO plan. It doesn’t show overnight results as search engines take time to recognize your website and index it. Keep a check on above points while implementing SEO on website.
We can help you in implementing a targeted SEO plan to your website. Enquire now!
Find out what’s trending in our part of the world and what we are doing to make a difference. Subscribe to know more.